I really enjoyed working with 99SE for the last year or so… It was a pleasure working with the team, especially with John Hurle. His holistic approach to projects and his well composed and calm demeanour made the work enjoyable while solving some challenging engineering problems.
I have worked as a consulting engineer with 99 Structural Engineers Ltd … it was great working with John to deliver a variety of refurbishment projects, including properties with new basements. He is always kind and calm even when pressure is high and 99 SE is the reflection of John’s best abilities and traits.
A Career with 99 Structural Engineers
We believe that structural engineering can offer a diverse and rewarding career. It offers the chance for creative problem-solving, lifelong learning and interaction with a wide variety of people. Unlike many other professions we produce designs that are likely to outlive us and could be enjoyed for many generations to come.
We are always looking for bright, hard-working team players to join our growing practice. We are an equal opportunities employer and keen to help you learn quickly and succeed in your career.
Current Openings: Design Engineer
We are offering an exciting new role to build your career in Kensington.
We are looking for someone who is a bright, hard-working team player and keen to take on more responsibility.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2-4 years experience
- Minimum one year’s experience at an established engineering practice in the UK.
- MEng in Civil Engineering (or similar equivalent)
- Working towards ICE or IStructE chartership
- Good communication skills at speaking, writing and drawing
- Working capabilities with Office software
We have our own calculation and drawing software that we will teach you to use.
Take the opportunity to join a fantastic thriving practice with lots of potential for progression. We work in an open-plan office with a good work/life balance and a friendly fun ethos.
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not accept applications made via agencies.
What are 99 Structural Engineer's Core Values?
These were the first things our Founder wrote down before starting the company. They guide us in making decisions and help us to be consistent in pursuing our goals.
- Make a profit profit is oxygen for a business. Life is more than just breathing but we do need enough air.
- Be More Client don’t just be a structural engineer understand the wider picture and how we can assist. Understand the market and latest trends. Listen to the client and ask good questions. Understand the client’s wishes and any other considerations. Start with outcomes and then think about the process. Happy clients, happy life.
- Make It Fun give everyone a chance to shine, respect for their different strengths, responsibility to choose how things are done, space to be creative, flexible hours.
- Manage Risk Wisely nothing illegal, nothing scandalous, imagine explaining it to the judge and the TV cameras, scan the horizon, learn from the past, pick people’s brains, build resilience, beware perfectionism, minimise exposure to down-side risk using the hierarchy avoid > reduce > manage > insure > accept, increase exposure to upside risk and opportunity.
- Only Your Best we are a high performance team not a family.
- Invest in Briefings share everything that’s relevant, give the big picture, explain why and why not, nobody remembers 100% so write it down, nobody understands 100% so ask good questions and explain it back.
- Keep Learning from the past, from reading, from our network, from training, from small experiments, from sharing with each other our mistakes and our successes.
- Celebrate Successes life can be hard and unfair but we also have lots of things to be grateful for so it’s important we sing when we’re winning.
- Give Something Back we give 10% of our company profits to charity and we are keen to find other ways we can have a positive impact on this little planet we call home.
- Leave for Greater Things we hope you stay until you retire but if not we want to be a springboard for something even better. We would like to be a career launcher for future housing ministers, captains of industry, charity CEOs, newspaper editors, lawyers, musicians, even your own firm! Please stay in touch via our Alumni Network.
Case Study: Principal Engineer
Matheos joined 99 Structural Engineers at a time of high growth to lead the design of a number of our key projects with a range of award-winning architects.
He enjoyed the variety of projects he worked on and the particular challenges of altering existing structures and research into different materials. Over his first year working with us he took on 24 different projects. These included works to a listed building on a very exclusive street in Kensington, a pair of basements for neighbouring townhouses in Chelsea and a basement attached to a listed house in Islington.
Some particular highlights include areas of research for projects such as on rammed earth design, stabilisation of wrought iron in a historic building and the use of injection grouting to underpin a house on very poor ground. His designs included some intricate steel connection design to enable an additional storey for a HNWI and appraisal of a couple of residential blocks for additional storeys.
Case Study: Summer Intern
Nikan applied for a summer internship with 99 Structural Engineers as he wanted to use his summer holidays from university to get practical experience of real building projects. He worked for us for two months on 12 different projects including 7 site visits.
The projects were a mix of domestic alterations, a couple of projects for Kensington Council (new buildings for Kensington Memorial Park and rehousing a sculpture in Tavistock Gardens) and small works for a large contractor called Maylim on a tower called 8 Bishopsgate and a residential development called Greenford Quay.
His work involved researching information online, taking records and photos on site visits, using Office software to do simple calculations, sketching different designs electronically, RC detailing and producing formal drawings in CAD software.
There was pizza every Thursday night in the office from 5pm and also chances to socialise with the other interns including a meal out together.